Disney Plus Day: Everything You Need To Know
Disney is holding its first ever Disney+ Day on November 12. It’s a global celebration over at Disney, where subscribers to its Disney+ service will get all sorts of new content to watch. And just in time for the many family gatherings that we’ll see later in November and throughout December.
What exactly is Disney+ Day? Well, we’re going to go over that and everything else that you need to know about the big day here. So you’ll know what to expect when November 12 comes around.
What is Disney+ Day?
Disney+ Day is the company’s first-ever, and it is designed to commemorate the second anniversary of Disney+ launching. It’s hard to imagine, but Disney+ has now been around for two years, and has grown pretty significantly in that time.
It is going to be celebrated at Disney Parks and Resorts around the world, in addition to online through Disney+.
Basically, it’s a big day for Disney to release a slew of new content from all of its brands. That includes new series and movies across Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and National Geographic. We will also likely see some talent show up on its other channels and platforms like ABC, Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPN+, Freeform, FX and Hulu.
“The inaugural Disney+ Day will be a grand-scale celebration of our subscribers across the entire company,” Bob Chapek, Chief Executive Officer for The Walt Disney Company, said in an official statement about the event, back in September. “This day of appreciation brings to life our mission to entertain, inform, and inspire fans and families around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling, and will become an annual tentpole event to be amplified across our global businesses.”
When is Disney+ Day?
Disney+ Day is taking place on November 12. That marks the two-year anniversary of Disney+ launching in many countries.
Which means we all have a lot of new content to watch on November 12, and should probably call in sick to work that day.
What content is launching on Disney+ Day?
Disney has a slew of content making its premiere on Disney+ on November 12. This includes a lot of new originals, as well as a slew of movies that were in theaters a few months ago – like Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings.” Here’s the complete list from Disney themselves.
- The streaming premiere of Marvel Studios’ “Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings”
- The beloved Disney family-friendly adventure film “Jungle Cruise,” available to all subscribers
- The new Disney+ Original movie “Home Sweet Home Alone,” a reimagining of the popular holiday franchise
- An all-new original series of shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios called “Olaf Presents,” which sees Frozen’s beloved snowman retelling several classic Disney tales as only he can
- The domestic Disney+ streaming debut of fan favorite shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios including “Frozen Fever,” Oscar®-winning shorts “Feast” and ”Paperman,” Oscar-nominated Mickey Mouse short, “Get A Horse!” and more
- An animated short film “Ciao Alberto” from Pixar, featuring characters from this summer’s animated hit breakout film “Luca”
- A new short from The Simpsons that pays tribute to Disney+’s marquee brands
- The first five episodes from season 2 of “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” from National Geographic
- A special celebrating the origins and legacy of Star Wars’ legendary bounty hunter, Boba Fett
- A special celebrating the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney+ with an exciting look towards the future
- “Dopesick,” an original series starring Michael Keaton, which will be released in international markets as part of the Star general entertainment content offering
Is Hulu and ESPN+ included?
Currently, there’s no plans to release new content on Hulu or ESPN+ on Disney+ Day. This appears to be solely about Disney+ and its parks (and resorts). But, Hulu does release new content almost daily, so there will certainly be some new content coming that day to Hulu.
Do I need to be a subscriber to take advantage?
Yes, in order to take advantage of Disney+ Day, you will need to be a Disney+ subscriber. Thankfully, Disney+ is not super expensive. It’s priced at $7.99 per month, or you can sign up for an annual plan and get it for less – just $79.99/year. That will get you two months for free, basically.
You can also sign up for the Disney+ bundle, this includes Hulu and ESPN+, and that costs $13.99 per month. Or you can get Hulu (No-Ads) added for $19.99 per month. Which makes it really worth it, especially if you use at least two of those services. Since Disney+ is $7.99, ESPN+ is $5.99 and Hulu is $6.99. Separately, that would cost you $21, and you can get it for just $13.
There are many ways to get Disney+ for free too. Which is really nice to see. We’ve outlined all of the ways in this post.
Is this US only?
Disney+ Day is going to be a worldwide celebration for Disney. Everywhere that Disney+ is available right now, you’ll be able to celebrate Disney+ Day and start watching all sorts of new content. I for one, am excited to watch the new Home Alone. Even though the trailer didn’t look too promising.
Will it launch in other markets that day?
Disney is taking this celebration as a day to launch the service in a handful of new markets.
On November 12, Disney+ will be expanding into new Asia-Pacific markets. Though, Disney+ has only mentioned three countries specifically so far. There’s likely more coming. South Korea and Taiwan will get Disney+ on November 12, with Hong Kong getting it on November 16.
So that’s Disney+ Day. It’s basically a day that Disney is using to drum up some more hype around its content. And it’s being well done actually. As it is launching a ton of new content on that one day. So you’re going to have plenty of new content to watch as you get your holidays together, and get together with family this holiday season.
And the best part is, it doesn’t require any additional purchases. You just need to subscribe to Disney+. Which, judging by how many users it has (over 116 million, as of September 2021), most of us are probably already signed up.